To All You Non-Volunteers…..
Definition of a volunteer:
- A person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.
- A person who performs a service willingly and without pay.
Show me where this states I am your slave, bitch, errand girl, or messenger.
Case in point:
- The mom who has a son that quit the program and wants me to MAIL her son’s photos. Excuse me but, you live in the same town I do. A quarter of a mile away, in fact. Let me get this straight, okay? I should find a large sturdy envelope to mail this in, drive half a mile away to the post office. Reach into my pocket and pull out the money for postage just to save you a that quarter of a mile drive? Kiss my…….yeah THAT, thank you. Not happening.
- The mom who wants me to take her son’s jersey to the cleaners to have it altered because SHE ordered the wrong size jersey. Yeah okay, right after I get back from the post office for the other mom.
- The dad who would like me to fax him directions to every field we play at, when it’s clearly posted on our town’s website. I played dumb and just emailed him the link to the website. Hi, I’m not your wife. Get her to print it out for you.
Honestly, I do love volunteering. I would not do it if I didn’t get pleasure from it. But c’mon……I do this for free. My free time is just as valuable as yours.